Virus Removal One Mile
WHAT IS CRYPTOLOCKER?
Also known as “Locky”, CryptoLocker is a ransomware Trojan which targets Australians, particularly those running Microsoft Windows as their operating system. Ransomwares are known to demand money from their victims in exchange for their computer files and information. The most common emails that this virus attaches itself to are
Australia Post, AGL electricity Bills as well as speeding fine emails. If you notice that you cannot open your files or your files end with .encrypted it is important to turn off your computer immediately and do not plug any hard drive ’s or USB sticks into the computer as it will also encrypt information on these devices.
HOW DOES CRYPTOLOCKER WORK?
HOW CAN CRYPTOLOCKER BE AVOIDED?
- Don’t open suspicious files.
- Source the company e-mailing you and call them directly. Don’t call the number from the e-mail.
- Backup your files frequently so you can easily restore factory settings if your computer gets infected.
- Disable Microsoft Office’s macros by default.
- Don’t stay logged in as an administrator longer than necessary. Avoid browsing or opening documents while you have admin rights.
- Make sure all your data is backed up regularly (most preferably daily) in two locations: one online and the other on a local drive.
If you have been victimized by CryptoLocker or simply want to protect your computer from future malware attacks, call us at 0410 659 349. We can help with data backup and recovery, virus removal, and many other computer services.